During EUA’s Prague Convention (19-21 March) members of the association elected the following eight university leaders to serve on the next EUA Board:
• David Drewry, University of Hull, UK
• Jean-Pierre Finance, Université Henri Poincaré, Nancy 1, France
• Lauritz Holm-Nielsen, University of Aarhus, Denmark
• Tadeusz Luty, Wroclaw University of Technology, Poland
• Maria Helena Nazaré, University of Aveiro, Portugal
• Sijbolt Noorda, (The Association of Universities in the Netherlands - VSNU)
• Giuseppe Silvestri, University of Palermo, Italy
• Margret Wintermantel, (German Rectors’ Conference - HRK)
These eight candidates received the highest numbers of votes from the General Assembly held on the opening day of the Convention. The new EUA Board consists of the elected members and new EUA President
, Professor Jean Marc Rapp – who officially took over from Professor Georg Winckler during the Convention and was warmly welcomed by EUA members.
EUA’s Board meets regularly, five or six times a year, and is responsible for the preparation and implementation of the Association's policy, the planning of its activities, and the overall organisation of its affairs.
The new EUA statutes, voted last year, foresee that four Board members shall be elected every two years, in order to guarantee continuation in its activities and ensure wide representation from university leaders across Europe. Given that the terms of office for all eight outgoing Board members ended in Prague, four Board members were exceptionally elected for a term of two years, while the four other Board members will be elected for a term of four years. This transition measure is necessary to allow the rhythm of elections as outlined above.