On 25 January the Council of the European University Association (EUA) agreed to nominate eight candidates for the election of three new EUA Board members, which is due to take place at the General Assembly prior to EUA‘s Annual Conference in Ghent (11-12 April 2013).
The three candidates with the highest number of votes will be elected to replace three outgoing members of the current Board, and will serve for four years (2013-2017).
The eight candidates officially nominated by EUA Council during its meeting in Istanbul are:
- Gülay Doğu Barbarosoğlu, Rector, Bogazici University, Turkey
- David Drewry*, former Vice-Chancellor, University of Hull, UK (*Standing for re-election)
- Konstantine Gatsios, Rector of the Athens University of Economics and Business, Greece
- Alar Karis, former Rector of the University of Tartu and President of the Estonian Rectors’ Conference
- Stefano Paleari, Rector of the University of Bergamo, Italy
- Patrick Prendergast, Provost, Trinity College Dublin, Ireland
- Rolf Tarrach, Rector, University of Luxembourg
- Louis Vogel, Former President of the University of Panthéon-Assas (Paris 2) and the French Rectors’ Conference
EUA’s Board is comprised of the EUA President and eight members (including two Vice-Presidents), who are current or former rectors of EUA member institutions. The Board meets at least three times a year and is responsible for the preparation and implementation of the association's policy, the planning of its activities and the management of its affairs.
The three successful candidates in April’s election will join the current members of the Board: Professors Lauritz B. Holm-Nielsen (Denmark), Esther Giménez-Salinas (Spain), Vaclav Hampl (Czech Republic), Kristin Ingolfsdottir (Iceland), Margret Wintermantel (Germany) and EUA President, Professor Helena Nazaré (Portugal). The outgoing members of the current Board are Professors David Drewry (UK), Jean-Pierre Finance (France) and Giuseppe Silvestri (Italy) who have served since 2009.
EUA full members have the possibility to propose additional candidates for the Board. Candidates must be rectors or former rectors of an EUA full member institution. Nominations must be made in writing; supported by at least fifty full members having the right to vote; accompanied by a statement that the candidate has agreed to accept the office if elected. The deadline for additional nominations is Monday 4 March 2013. Please note that the EUA statutes state that the Board “shall not contain more than one member from any one country”. For more information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
EUA members can register for the Annual Conference and General Assembly through the conference website.