Since 2009, the Research Policy Working Group (RPWG) has been chaired by Professor David Drewry, EUA Vice-President. The RPWG members hold leadership responsibilities for research and innovation activities in their respective universities combined with substantial knowledge and experience of European research funding instruments and policy developments.
The Research Policy Working Group has the following terms of reference:
1. Its status is that of an Advisory body appointed by and reporting to the EUA Council.
2. Membership is comprised of members drawn from the EUA Board and nominations received from National Rectors’ Conferences who are the chair persons or senior members of their national research committees.
3. Membership should be normally for three years, with possibility of one three-year extension to ensure a degree of continuity.
4. Its main terms of reference are (i) to review European research and innovation policy development of importance to Europe’s universities; (ii) to advise on the preparation of EUA positions and statements on European research policy initiatives; and (iii) to propose and promote new policy instruments to strengthen the position of Europe’s universities as main stakeholders in the European Research Area.
5. In addition, it establishes and maintains a working dialogue with the European Commission and with other major stakeholders in research and innovation policy, business, non-university research institutions, national funding agencies, etc. through their respective European associations.
The RPWG agenda covers key areas of importance for Europe’s universities in European research and innovation policy including:
RPWG issues position papers on European research and innovation policy priorities, recent examples:
Smart People for Smart Growth: Statement by the European University Association on the EU Flagship Initiative “Innovation Union” of the Europe 2020 European Strategy for Smart, Sustainable and Inclusive Growth
EUA statement on behalf of the EUA European Platform of Universities engaged in Energy Research (EPUE) on the Public Consultation on the Energy Roadmap 2050
EUA position on the EC "Green Paper" on a Common Strategic Framework for EU Research and Innovation Funding
EUA response to ERA Framework consultation
EUA Input to the Debate on the Rules for Participation in Horizon 2020
EUA Statement addressed to Heads of State and Government attending the 'EU Budget Summit'
RPWG maintains also a regular working dialogue with the relevant European institutions and other main European stakeholders in research and innovation policy. Recent RPWG meetings have involved an exchange of views and discussion with the following leading actors:
Professor Helga Nowotny, President of the European Research Council
Professor Anders Flodstrȍm, Vice-President of the Governing Board of the European Institute for Innovation and Technology
Professor Geoffrey Boulton, University of Edinburgh, UK, Chairman of the Royal Society Initiative on “Science as an Open Enterprise”
Robert-Jan Smits, Director-General, European Commission Directorate for Research and Innovation
Leopold Demiddeleer, Director of Solvay Future Businesses, and President of the European Industrial Research Management Association (EIRMA)
Professor Luc Soete, Chairman of the European Research and Innovation Area Board