Thursday, 19 November
19.30 Welcome Reception
Porcelaenshaven (CBS campus), Klin Hall
Porcelænshaven - Royal Copenhagen Porcelain Factory
Located at the corner of Smallegade and Søndre Fasanvej, bordering Frederiksberg Have, you find Porcelænshaven. The Royal Copenhagen Porcelain Factory has been converted and refurbished to provide the premises for education and research. Owned by FUHU (the Danish Society for the Advancement of Business Education), which leases Porcelænshaven and the Råvarebygning to CBS, the buildings of Porcelænshaven and the Råvarebygning have a total of approximately 20,000 sqm.
The Factory has existed since 1882 and created the framework. After the relocation of the production there is now more room for other activities. 19,000 sq.m of the old factory have been converted into classrooms and administrative offices. The rest of Porcelænshaven is intended for houses, and student life is, therefore, an integrated part of the residential area. The major part of the refurbishment of the factory buildings was completed in 2005 - and CBS' units and departments started to take up residence.
The second phase of the project included renovation and refurbishment of the Kiln Hall. The old kiln hall of The Royal Copenhagen Porcelain Factory, which is 1,000 sq.m, now serves as a main hall with a cafeteria, which makes the area suitable for larger events. Apart from that, the Kiln Hall also houses classrooms and a fitness room.
The third phase is the refurbishment of the 3,000 sqm Råvarebygning, which is expected to be completed during the summer of 2009. Henning Larsen Architects has been chosen to rebuild the Råvarebygning, which will house modern teaching and research communities with classrooms, offices and meeting rooms.
20.00 Gala dinner
The Danish National Gallery - Sculpture Street
Statens Museum For Kunst
The old museum building dates back to 1896 and was designed by the architect Vilhelm Dahlerup. This building reflects the exuberant joy - so typical of the period - taken in mixing several historical styles. This is most clearly evident from the richly decorated facade and the imposing entrance, which makes for a solemn transition from the outside world into the museum collections.
Until the 1960s, a huge staircase dominated the Entrance Hall. Here, museum visitors could ascend to the first floor, which was devoted to paintings. The ground floor presented the museum's collection of plaster casts of historical sculptures. Today, this particular aspect of the museum has its own exhibition venue: the Royal Cast Collection in Toldbodgade, near the Royal Palace of Amalienborg.
The museum was short of space from the very beginning. It was not until 1970, however, that the amount of floor space available for exhibitions was increased. This was done by roofing two atrium wells in the middle of the museum.
The 1998 extension has provided the museum with a significant - and much-needed - increase in the exhibition space available. The magnificent, modernist extension building is situated in parallel with Dahlerup's old museum, opening the house up towards the surrounding parkland. The architect Anna Maria Indrio from the major Danish firm of architects "C.F. Møllers tegnestue" created the new architecture. The two widely different buildings are separate entities, yet linked by a glass-roofed Sculpture Street, with footbridges connecting the first floors. The two buildings meet and merge in a single fluid movement while also clearly demarcating their distinctive characters and the architectural differences between them.