The EUA-Expert Group on Research and Innovation Strategies for Smart Specialisation (RIS3) has the following terms of reference:
1. The status of the Expert Group is that of an Advisory body appointed by the EUA Council. The Expert Group reports to the Research Policy Working Group (RPWG) and to the EUA Council.
2. Membership is based on nominations by the National Rectors’ Conferences. Nominees should have institutional responsibility or have been designated to play a representative role on behalf of universities. Moreover, they should have substantial knowledge and experience in specific areas related to the remit of the Expert Group.
3. Membership should be normally for three years, with possibility of one three-year extension to ensure a degree of continuity.
4. The main objectives of the Expert Group are (i) to examine and review the broader issues related to the Expert Group’s remit/areas of focus; (ii) to advise on the preparation of EUA activities, positions and/or statements related to the areas of focus of the Expert Group; (iii) to promote linkages with other organisations, related to the areas of focus of the Expert Group; (iv) to strengthen the position of Europe’s universities as main stakeholders in the specific policy areas of the Expert Group.
5. In addition, the Expert Group establishes and maintains a working dialogue with the European Commission and with other major stakeholders in research and innovation policy in its areas of expertise.